How to disinfect and care for scissors
May 21, 2020
We would like to introduce how to disinfect and care for scissors. Ethanol is suitable for the disinfection of scissors (ethanol used for disinfection of hands is ok).
<How to disinfect and care>
- (1) Remove dirt with chamois (cleaning cloth)
- (2) Moisten cloth or cotton with ethanol and wipe the entire surface
- (3) Wipe off moisture throughly after ethanol dried
- (4) Apply oil to pivot point
- (5) When storing, apply oil to blade (hollow grinded surface) as well
- (6) When using again, wipe off oil
- - Moisture may remain after wiping with ethanol, so be sure to wipe it off throughly, as this can casue rusting.
- - The blade is very sharp, so be careful not to cut your hands, such as folding the chamois in four.
- - Even for ethanol, if it has a low concentration or contains moisturizing ingredients, it may rust scissors without evaporating.
- - Be sure to wipe it off throughly after disinfection.
- - We do not recommend to soak scissors in the ethanol, because moisture cannot not be completely wiped off and scissors will rust.
- - We do not recommend disinfecting with boiling water or steam, because if you do not disassemble and wipe the scissors completely, moisture may remain in the screw and scissors will rust.
- - Please do not use sodium hypochlorite. Chlorine will damage and rust your scissors.
- - Disinfection with UV rays (disinfectant) is also effective, but the effect on the COVID-19 is currently being verified by institutions.
- Please see more details on HSC website.
Please take care to use the scissors safely and for a long time.
(Updated on May 29)